Monday 23 October 2017

RESEARCH: TV Listings

For one of my ancillary products I need to create a double page spread of a listings magazine, to do this I wanted to research into the general codes and conventions of a listings magazine.
Firstly I looked at the listings of one of the documentaries I have previously analysed called 'Secrets of the Superbrands (Fashion). As this documentary was aired in 2011 I was only able to find a 'listings magazine' online, however it was an online version rather than a paper version (see below).


Here you can see when all the episodes of the documentary series are on, the particular episode that I analysed aired on the 3rd June 2011. Click here to go to the listings website.

I also wanted to look at a paper version of a listings magazine so I found this double page spread of listings on various different channels....

This shows the times of all the programs on BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4 and Channel 3 for the 8th of November. After looking at the actual listings for the channels, I needed to look at double page spreads focused on one program as this is what I will need to create for my own documentary.



As you can see from these double page spread examples, there is usually one main image used on the page with only one or two smaller images used as well. They also clearly display the name of the program/documentary alongside the channel it is on, the time and date. The main body of the double page spread writes about the main focus of the program/documentary and what it is about. Finally they also use a heading and a sub-heading which is also a code and convention of all double page spreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment